The “Inside Australia”: exhibition was commissioned to mark the 50th anniversary celebrations of the Perth International Arts Festival in 2003, and an idea of internationally renowned artist, Antony Gormley.
The 51 sculptures stand scattered over 10 square kilometres of the Lake Ballard salt lake, 51 kilometres west from the town of Menzies. The 51 sculptures are derived from laser scans of the inhabitants of Menzies apart from 2 or 3 passers by who were included. The majority of these inhabitants still live and work in Menzies.
- Link to lakeballard.com which is a website dedicated to Lake Ballard and the sculptures.
- The sculptures are scattered across the lake and visitors must park at the designated parking bay areas and walk on the lake. PLEASE DO NOT DRIVE ON THE LAKE.
- Suitable footwear and sun protection is recommended and take plenty of water with you. Temperatures can reach scorching highs at certain times throughout the year and the lake reflects the sun's rays.
- Please be considerate of your environment and take all rubbish away with you or place in the bins provided.
- Recommended viewing times are in the early morning or late afternoon.
- Allow at least 2 to 3 hours to walk around the entire installation, and always view the work in a minimum group of two.