The “Inside Australia”: exhibition was commissioned to mark the 50th anniversary celebrations of the Perth International Arts Festival in 2003, and an idea of internationaly reknowned artist, Antony Gormley. Apart from 2 or 3 passers-by the 51 sculptures are derived from laser scans of the inhabitants of Menzies. The sculptures stand scattered over 10 sqare kilometres of the salt lake, named ‘Lake Ballard’, approximately 55km west from the townsite of Menzies.
- The sculptures are scattered across the lake and visitors must park at the designated parking bay areas and walk on the lake. PLEASE DO NOT DRIVE ON THE LAKE.
- Suitable footwear and sun protection is recommended and take plenty of water with you. Temperatures can reach scorching highs at certain times throughout the year and the lake reflects the suns rays.
- Please be considerate of your environment and take all rubbish away with you or in the bins provided.
- Recommended viewing times are in the early morning or late afternoon.
- Allow at least 2 hours to walk around the entire installation, and always view the work in a minimum group of two.