Environmental Health & Building

Town Planning

If anyone is considering any development at all within the Town, it is important for the developer to check with the Shire’s Environmental Health Officer or the Chief Executive Officer, to ensure that the proposed development does not contravene the existing Town Planning Scheme that is current within the Shire. Failure to do this can result in time delays, and cost the developer more money than first anticipated.

For any queries regarding Health and Building Matters, please contact the Chief Executive Officer on 08 90242041.

Submission Of Plans

Two plans and a building application form must be submitted and a permit obtained before commencement of any earth and/or building works.

The minimum standard of plans shall be a front and side elevation, section and floor plan of a scale not less 1:100, a block or site plan not less 1:200 and two copies of specifications. All drawings must be done in ink.

Specifications shall describe materials to be used in the construction, the sizes thereof together with all other information not shown on the drawings, which is necessary to show that the building will, if constructed in accordance with the specifications, comply with the provisions of the Building Code. Further information to be suppled when required by the Building Surveyor can include:

  • a list of the performance requirements applicable to that building which will be satisfied by a method other than that set out in the Deemed-to-Satisfy Provisions of the Building code;
  • details of assessment methods to be used to establish compliance with those listed requirements;
  • details of any expert certificates relied on to establish compliance with those listed requirements, including the extent of the reliance and the qualifications of the expert;
  • details of any tests or calculations used to establish compliance with those listed requirements;
  • details of any standards or other documents relied on to establish compliance with those listed requirements; and
  • any other details required by the building surveyor to establish compliance with the Building Code.

Plans to show the following details:

  • Street names, lot numbers, title reference of the site and the north point clearly marked;
  • The dimension, size and shape of the lot;
  • The dimension and position of the proposed new building and of any existing buildings on the site;
  • The relative levels at each corner of the dwelling - both natural ground level and proposed finished levels;
  • A datum point at crown of carriageway (centre of road), preferably in line with the crossover;
  • The proposed gradient of driveway, and a stormwater drainage plan;
  • The location, extent and height of any retaining walls, together with Engineer’s details on the height, thickness, materials and method of construction. Where a retaining wall exceeds 900mm in height the consent of adjoining owner/s is required in writing;
  • Full details of footing dimensions, construction and centres (if applicable) and foundations;
  • The angle of slope of any earth bank together with details of any proposed method of protection, i.e. stone pitching or slabbing;
  • The position of street trees power poles and any other obstruction, if any, between the site and the roadway.

Other Information

Suspended Floors

Suspended Floors, Structural Steel Buildings and Belowground Pools are to be designed by an Engineer with qualifications equal to corporate membership Institute of Engineers (Aust).

Required Setbacks

Front 7.5m
Rear 1.5m
Side 1.5m - subject to conformance with the Residential Planning Codes of Western Australia.
Corner Lots 7.5m to the major street,
3.5m to the minor street subject to specific Council approval
Eaves The minimum distance between the eaves of a dwelling and the boundary shall be 100mm

Septic Tanks And Leach Drains

Application forms and $135 fee (dependent on fixture numbers) to be submitted at the same time as each Building Application, if applicable.

Minimum Standards For Septic Tanks And Leach Drains

Normally, residential houses require a minimum of a 1500 Septic Tank and a 1200 Septic Tank connected to 2x12 metres of leach drain, installed in accordance with the relevant regulations. It is important to note that the registered plumber must check these details with the Environmental Health Officer before proceeding with any construction.

  1. Septic tanks and leach drains are to be sized by the Principal Environmental Health Officer using the Treatment of Sewerage and Disposal of effluent and Liquid Waste Regulations.
  2. Septic tank lids to be sealed correctly as per the regulations and then covered. A minimum of 100 mm fall between inlet and outlet in the first (1500mm) septic tank. Tank bottoms to be concreted to comply with the regulations. Tanks to be no less than 1000mm and no greater than 1800mm apart. NOTWITHSTANDING the above conditions, the septic tanks must comply with all aspects of the Treatment of Sewerage and Disposal of Effluent and Liquid Waste Regulations.
  3. Leach Drain construction and excavation to comply to the following conditions:
    • Excavate 1m either side of the leach drain to a depth of 300mm below the final invert level of the drain segments.
    • Ground under each leach drain to be shot fired every 610mm along the entire length to a depth of 2m (i.e.: 2300 below the final level of the leach drain).
    • Top of each drain to be kept as close as possible to the finished ground level, and in any case, no further than 300mm from the finished ground level.
    • Backfill to be fine aggregate (max 25mm) up to within 300mm of finished ground level.
    • Leach drains to be constructed by using approved concrete domes or the heavy-duty form of Atlantis Modular Leach Drain (two centre baffles) installed in strict accord with manufacturers specifications.
    • All Leach Drains are to have at least one (1) x 100mm Inspection Opening (brought to the surface and capped) to facilitate the pump-out of leach drains in cases of emergency, or as required.

Note: These conditions to be complied with before system is approved for use.

Council is only authorised to approve domestic systems. The Health Department of WA (HDWA) must approve any Commercial, or other installations.

When making application to the HDWA, the applicant must obtain a Local Government Report from the appropriate Shire Environmental Health Officer (EHO), for which there is a fee of $236.00, and submit this with the application.